Saturday, August 11, 2007

Surviving vs Thriving

I was just visiting Indigirl's blog and reading her latest entry. It got me thinking about her life, my life, and what (as a western society) has become a normative "life".
When did it become so acceptable and so common for people to only survive their daily lives? Where do we thrive? How do we thrive? Have we forgotten how?
"She [the Wild Woman] comes to us through sound as well; through music which vibrates the sternum, excites the heart; it comes through the drum, the whistle, the call, and the cry. It comes through the written and the spoken word; sometimes a word, a sentence or a poem or a story, is so resonant, so right, it causes us to remember, at least for an instant, what substance we are really made from, and where is our true home." (Women Who Run With the Wolves. Clarissa Pinkola Estes. Pg. 7)
Where is our true home? Is it in the box that surrounds us that we call house/abode/dwelling or is it somewhere inside of ourselves?
We are living lives of scarcity; always looking at what we don't have, not what we do have. We don't have enough time, enough money, enough things...
I have been guilty of all these things and more.
How is the cycle broken? When does scarcity become abundance? Where is the music within my own heart?
I guess these questions I have published outside of myself are not really made to be answered there, but within.

No comments: